Sunday, March 31, 2013

3 countries in 2 days.

It has been a busy couple of days. Kristina and I left Gothenburg March 29th and arrived in Copenhagen and then left to go to Essen on the 30th.

Kobenhavn was a wet cold and snowy, but it made the city look very pretty. On our way to the hostel, a monk honed in our tourist appearance (big backpack and suitcase, map in hand, looking confused) and proceeded to talk to us about how people's moods were causing the bad weather and other spiritual stuff, which was definitely an interesting encounter. Once we made it to our hostel, we put on a few more layers on so we could tackle the city. We saw a free town called "Christiania". It was covered in graffiti and sort of sketchy. I think googling it will provide the best description of what it's like. The canals lined with boats was also very pretty. My most favorite thing in Copenhagen was people watching. Everyone is so stylish with their big scarves, wool coats and short boots. Such a fancy city! All the stores were closed, which was probably a good thing because I saw a few things in rhe window I wanted to get. There was also one bakery/ cafe we frequented 3 times in ~22 hours.

The flight into Essen, Germany was uneventful, but the way we were greeted in the airport was not. The Mom and Rebekka were there waiting for us with signs and were super excited when we walked through. Once we got to their place, I met more of the family. They are all very nice and welcoming and I can tell they just love that Kris is back in Essen. We went grocery shopping and I think it's a good thing I don't normally live here because I would eat chocolate and bread. The fancy chocolate is cheap and there is such a selection of breads! I am excited to try some authentic German food over the next few days. Oh, and it's true, the beer/alcohol is cheap but that wasn't as important as the cheap chocolate. 

In the evening Kris, Rebekka and I went to a cafe. They made me order by myself which turned out funny because when the lady asked what kind of chocolate I wanted in my milk in German,  I just smiled and nodded because I had no idea what she was saying! Rebekkah and Kris had a good laugh.

The day went by in such a blur, so I might be filling in some gaps later.

Tomorrow is Rebekkah's birthday and also Easter!

Tschüss (Bye in German)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pics. I was sitting in Jollibee having my breakfast while viewing these pics. I got so excited i just about showed them to the couple sitting next to me. Foolish parents.... always thinking people want to see pics of their kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the coffee thing Kris has!? It looks absolutely amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha thanks, Dad.

    At this cafe they would putl melted chocolate on the side of your cup and then you could have milk or coffe with it. Kris had it with coffee. Super yummy.

    ReplyDelete