Sunday, April 7, 2013

Dutch land, I'm here!

Success! I finally get to see the famous Utrecht.

Devonne and I were to meet up at the Starbucks but there's two Starbucks so of course we went to separate ones but she eventually located me. We arrived at Nienke's after asking about 5 ppl how to get there, the man with an iphone and internet access was the most helpful. Meeting Nienke and Renee and seeing Frans and Jasper again was really cool. That night (Wednesday), Devonne and I got a true taste of "being Dutch". I rode (think sitting side saddle) on the back of Nienke's bike and Devonne on Jasper's bike. Truthfully, I wasn't so sure about trying it out, but after talking to Sander about it and realizing these are the moments I love on trips,  I was soon being biked over canals, through graffiti'd tunnels, and past traffic. What a fun experience!

The next day we went to Amsterdam. The 2.5 hr tour hosted by Sandmen New Europe was really good because we got to learn a little history and see areas that we may not have seen. We visited Vondel Park, ate falafel and saw the Red Light District (of course). We didn't stay too late in Amsterdam because we didn't feel like wandering around and getting lost in deserted areas wasn't too much fun. Once we got back to Nienke's, we had apple crumble with her and her roomates which was nice.

Pictures: canal in Amsterdam, Devonne showing off the fountain that looks like it should be from Harry Potter, me eating delicious falafel, a piece of artwork placed in the ground by an unknow person and many ppl from Amsterdam think it is a good representation of the Red Light District due to the the anonymity of the hand and boob and it puts no judgement on what happens in this area.

1 comment:

  1. I have now realized that I'm over a week behind in my posting comments, so i'm posting in the future tense about things you've already done. I like the fountain, and the food...mmmmmmmmhhhhmmm foooooooood! Side saddle YIKES! No way, Jose! That sounds scary.

    ReplyDelete