Monday, April 1, 2013

Easter!

The last post was by Judith, so unfortunately I did not actually learn German that fast. I would suggest google translating it because it is a really good post. Here is what I actually had written:

Today was the first day I didn't wear long johns, not because it wasn't necessary, but more out of frustration with wearing long johns so much. Normally it is more spring like in Germany at this time of year, but it seems like the weather has been acting funny and everywhere in Europe is a bit colder than normal.

I find time change very confusing. There was the "spring forward" time change here, so that means I've done it twice this year. Will I be missing an hour out of my life? If I were to stay in Europe forever, would I lose 8 hours of my life? Time change makes me feel like I'm doing time travel. For some reason my mind is so boggled and amazed at the same time when I think of this. One day I will understand.

Anyways, Happy Easter!This morning I had a yummy sweet bread for breakfast before heading to the church service. The church service was interesting and I can't comment too much about it because it was all in German. I met a bunch of people that Kristina and the family knew, which was fun.Back at "home", we made a cake for Rebekkah's birthday (it's today, as well) which had apple sauce and whip cream in between the layers. After afternoon nap time, we all gathered and ate birthday cake, bienstich cake (bee sting cake), and this other cake that is made in vertical layers and then covered in chocolate.  It was a very sweet and satisfying tea time. I am enjoying how common it is to drink tea and have a little treat at some point in the afternoon or evening.

I received an audio clip from Chad which was really nice, but unfortunately haven't been able to connect with my Mom, John or Sis because of the time change and my schedule being spontaneous.

In the evening Kris and I went for a walk around with the area with the Mom, Inka (sp?). She told us that the area used to have a lot of coal and some areas that had train tracks have been redone to be paths for biking and walking. Kris will probably do her runs in this part. After this walk we relaxed a little more and then had bread and cheese for supper with some of Rebeka's friends for her bday. And, in the evening, the family,  Kris and I visited and had some good laughs. I said good bye to Rebekka as she was heading back to Berlin to prep for an exam.

I have been extremely fortunate to be welcomed into people's homes on this trip so far. They have made me feel very comfortable and I feel like I belong. I think it would be easy for me to to have a disconnected experience in Sweden and Germany so far, especially with me only knowing English, but the people Kristina have introduced me to have been so generous and caring. I can't really describe how this trip is right now, because I'm not having a typical tourist trip. It has been really special to actually build relationships as well as seeing new places. I know the tourist experience will come and that it will be fun too, but I am also enjoying how the trip is going so far.

Well, I think I've written enough.

Over and out.

1 comment:

  1. LINDT BUNNIES! I'm jelly. I haven't been keeping up to date on the reading of the blog. Whoops. I'm basically awake all the time, so, if you're eight hours ahead, you could skype me between 1:30 am and 1:30 pm, and I would welcome hat, because I miss my sis.

    ReplyDelete