Thursday, April 4, 2013

Good bye, Germany.

And now for some thoughts about my time in Germany.

I can't believe that I am heading to Holland already. I feel like I still have a couple of days left to spend here, but alas, I am on the ICE. I had a very good time in Germany and felt very comfortable.

The family I stayed with were so welcoming. They were very accomodating and made my stay very enjoyable. Each of the family members were so nice and included me in what they did. I do need to mention Judith, their 14 year old daughter,  as she helped me SO much while I was here. I do not think I would have had as much fun as I did if she wasn't there.  She is mature for a 14 year old, but still quite goofy. She was my little tour guide and translater and she did it all with a smile on her face. Her Danglish (a language she made up that is a mix of German and English), random singing and dance moves made it fun. She told me things and took me places I wouldn't have had a chance to experience. And, at the very end of the trip, (SPOILER TO MOM JOHN AND ERIN) she helped me mail chocolate off to my family and helped me get to Oberaussen, which would have stressed me out if I had to transfer by myself, to catch my train to Utrecht. She was the last one I said bye to in Germany and I think that it was perfect that it was this way. Danke, Judith!

I found some of the social behaviors of the Germans very interesting and neat. When someone enters a room, that person will greet each person individually with a hug or a handshake. It is not uncommon or weird if a guy and girl who are friends to hug each other, rather it seems this is normal. Also, I guess it is common for youth/ young adults to not commit to plans so you may not know if 2 ppl are coming to hang out or if 10 are. Everything is sort of last minute (I am glad that it is not really like this in Canada).

And now something I heard from Kris I swear at least once a day:  ah, I can't find [insert toothpaste, contacts,  brush, contact solution or anything that you may have in your suitcase here]. I dunno how she managed to misplace so much ;)

I think it Is time for a nap as I am meeting Devonne in 1 hr and tonight will probably be full of some adventures in Utrecht.

Hello, Holland.

1 comment:

  1. CHOCOLATE! THE GOOD KIND! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!I just hope it hasn't all melted by the time it gets here. ALthough that could be kinda fun too. Kris and I seem to have the magical misplacement power. i should tell you now that I start writing a comment when I first start reading, and then continue as I go. It makes me feel like we're having a conversation of sorts. On to the next post!

    ReplyDelete